Thursday, March 26, 2009

Go Get 'Em Colin

A friend of mine had told me to read "An American Journey" by Colin Powell because she had enjoyed the book far more than she had thought she would. I took the book, it sat in my TBR (to be read) pile and I didn't give it much thought.

Then I decided to pick it up and browse. I got hooked.

My family isn't a military family in the formal sense -- but my grandpa was in WWI, my dad in WW2, an uncle in Korea and a cousin in VietNam -- and I was raised to honor our military and the men and women who serve. War isn't their fault.

And I'll be honest. I was raised during the Viet Nam War and understand more about WWII and Korea than I do Viet Nam. But this book really isn't about war. It's about a man's journey through the military, through war and peace, through his life. And an exceptional life it is.

There are lessons about family and honor and life and duty and respect and courage and fear. It is one good read.

1 comment:

redcat said...

you know what sickens me today? the lack of respect for the veterans and military personnel. I truly respect Colin Powell...I may not always agree with is politics, but he's an honorable man. This is a world in which war is bad, and those who serve are bad...my school district even scheduled a makeup day on Memorial Day, a day to honor those who served. There will be no parade, no service, no honor. What a shame.

redcdat