Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Crash and Burn

Ok. According to the www.nanowrimo.org website, as of this moment I have 24 days, 1 hour and 53 minutes to write about 47,000 more words to hit the 50,000 mark. There has been approximately 171,000,000 words written so far by the entire collective.

That is one shitload of words.

I contributed about 3000 to that pile and I figure I must write 1,958 words PER DAY to reach the 50,000 goal. Yes. I know what you are thinking. Not a chance in hell.

I seem to write way too slowly and have precious little time to devote to the pursuit. However, I am not deterred. I shall march bravely on, like a little Kamikazi novelist, knowing that at the end, I will crash and burn.

My new, more realistic goal is 25,000 words by 11/30/07. Then next year, I'll start writing in August like everyone else and hit that 10,000 word mark in 3 days like all the others!! There are all these people posting that they've hit 10,000, 20,000 words since 11/1. I can't even spit out that many words talking in that time frame. And trust me, I'm an expert talker. Something tells me they were typing and formulating and plotting way before 11/1/07. I registered 10/31 and started typing 11/2/07, not knowing what the hell I was writing about.

I'm rather proud I've gotten this far! So onward I march, even sacrificing my very nice long nails for a shorter version, quicker on the keyboard.

Wish me luck. I'll need it.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Best of luck! My first year I started late in October with nothing planned, too. There are still people who have done NaNoWriMo before and every year start completely fresh on 11/1.

Me, I let myself outline and plot and worldbuild to my heart's content all the way up until midnight on Halloween night, and then at 12:01 11/1 (if I'm awake that early/late) I can start writing the story. So, all of the words I've gotten to date are ones I've written in November, but I had the plot established well in advance.

Oh - and even writing 10,000 (or 15,000, 25,000, etc) words in one month is more than you had before, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Go girl! I'm so amazed that people try to do this. Heck I can't even muster a POST every day...I'm gonna crash and burn with NaNoPoMo! :-)

You can do this...keep after it.

My word verification is "hlfwt." Is that shorthand for "halfwit?"