Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why I Hate Good Books


Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. By Doris Kearns Goodwin. I hate this book. Truly. I picked it up at the library on the advice of my friend Anne and I wish I had never seen it.

It is so damn good that I stayed up 1/2 the night reading and now am totally useless at work. I just want to go home, make a cup of tea and read ALL day. THIS is why I hate good books. Like a warm comforter, I want to stay inside it all day and not move. A good book makes me forget the laundry and my job and fighting kids and a wacky ex-husband and that pesky dental bill I didn't pay. A good book sucks me right in and I find I never want to leave.

This is one of them. Love Abe or not, her writing is magnificent (perhaps this why she won the Pulitizer?) and so worth your time. The book is daunting, but you are hooked from line one.

I know once I've finished reading it, I will know Lincoln better than Abe himself did.

That's good writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love ABE? I mean, he's ABE! He's on our license plates! He has his own mattress sale each year! He's even in that guy's dreams on the Rozerum commercials!

I admit I struggled with this book at first. Keeping all those rivals/cabinet members straight was rough. But worth it.

Anne